Sunday, July 25, 2010

Baptists and Sin Revisited- Or how i discovered the God Scam in Far North Queensland

Well, as any curious net nut does, I went Googling. But first, why did I ask the question in the first place?

Back in 1982, I was in far North Queensland, bumming around, living off the land etc. Anyway, I am a curious sort of a bloke. I can follow a path through life for a while, just to see what it's like. I've spent time with Krishnas (beautiful people), Bagwhan followers (those weird Orange People), and a vast array of other different spiritual type people.
It just so happened that I meta baptist 'Evangelist'. He'd left his home town somewhere in the Southern states of australia and decided to go to Cedar Bay of all places to 'spread the word' and convert the sinning hippies to Christianity.
I was, coincidentally, about to head to Cedar bay myself, so offered (he asked actually) to guide him there. The far north was a scary place I guess for a southerner.
To cut a long story short, I ended up at a Baptist Church thing one Sunday in Cairns. it was a youth thing. Well, I walked in and there were all these 14 to 18 year olds sitting around singing and laughing. I thought, this is cool, and started dancing to the groovy music. Within seconds, my evangelist friend sidled up beside me and said, "We don't dance. It is the Devil's doing."
Aaaah, OK. Thanks gang, but you can have your Baptist Devil and somewhat benevolent god. I'll take dancing like no one is watching.

Anyway, back to the point. I found this insightful post. It sounds like something straight out of Footloose, but may well be true.
http://deepintheheart.wordpress.com/2006/10/17/a-dancing-baptist/

No comments: